Thursday, August 31, 2006

On milking cows...













So...I've gotten a little behind here, sorry! Tuesday, I milked cows, milking a cow is something that I have always wanted to do, and I finally got to!!!! :) I was so so happy! My friend Denise, from work, is a farm girl, her parents have cows, and for the longest time we've talked about her teaching me how to milk a cow, and it finally happened!!! Now, it's not as easy as they make it look, mind you, well, I guess it is after you've done it for YEARS, but it wasn't for me...I just felt bad squeezing the cows' tits so hard!!! You know? ...but you have to squeeze pretty hard. So...you don't really sit on a bucket next to the cow and milk it...it's more like there is a big... parlor.... they open the door and there's all these cows...they come in...and six of them line up on either side...in these like...stall things, with their backsides facing you, and the process begins!! So...After I get these photos uploaded and developed, I'll probably be making a mini-album... cause I am a bit mini-album crazy at the moment!

Also...that one that looks like a little deer...it's a baby cow! And the one Denise is feeding...that's the calf that was born the day I went out there...we went out to see the cows in the barn, and there as a new baby!! And it's mother's udder was HUGE!!!! It almost hung down to the ground, looked pretty painful!

2 Comments:

Blogger tsbjf said...

That fawn-colored calf is SO cute! As I was looking at your pictures, the one with you in front of the cow's hooves reminded me that milking cows was on Dirty Jobs on the Discovery channel. The guy had to collect fresh poo as it was coming out, so that the dairy farmers could analyze it to make sure the cows' diet was good. I'm glad you finally got to learn to milk a cow!

10:39 PM  
Blogger Andrea Wiebe said...

i love your cow pictures...it must have been such a great experience...thanks for sharing :)

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home